The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The rise of collegiate esports

Abigail Lingel

In today’s world, where technology is on the rise, a new form of collegiate sports has emerged. Esports, video games played competitively by professional players, have made their way into universities. 

In collegiate athletics, many scholarships are awarded each year worldwide. These scholarships are given for academic excellence, athletic success and commitment. Currently, just over 30 colleges in the United States provide scholarships for esports and gaming. Competitive esports is a fresh idea in U.S. universities. 

As the rise of gaming in college continues, there is a widespread debate on whether collegiate esports should be allowed or obtain as much recognition and value as collegiate athletics. 

“Esports should be seen as just as competitive as athletics. They require just as much skill,” said third-year, political science major Ethan Madriaga. 

“It’s an up-and-coming idea, and people enjoy watching them just like sports.”

— ETHAN MADRIAGA, Westmont student

Madriaga is an esports fan and esports player here at Westmont College. He believes collegiate esports give students an enormous opportunity to do things they are good at, enjoy doing and get rewarded for.  

Madriaga continued, “Giving scholarships to students for participating on an esports team should not conflict with regular collegiate athletics funding. They should be separate programs that raise and collect money.”

The comparisons between live athletics and collegiate esports will undoubtedly be present in the media for years. Esports gives more chances for students to express their cognitive abilities, yet the sheer excitement for college athletics will never die.