The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Setting the flag football stage for generations

In a spirited showcase of community and athleticism, the Page Hall versus Van Kampen Hall flag football section event proved to be an outstanding success. It united participants in an unforgettable celebration of teamwork and friendly competition.

On the late Saturday morning of Nov. 11, around 40 proud Westmont College residents marched down to Lovick Field to play seven versus seven flag football. The residence halls engaged in a friendly battle that highlighted dorm pride. 

“It serves as a good platform from which initial relationships can be created, community across campus can be felt and deeper relationships can be developed.”

— JACKSON THOMAS, Westmont student

Students spanning diverse age groups came together on a level playing field, fostering interaction among classmates who might not otherwise engage. The audience, numbering around 20 supporters, eagerly witnessed the unfolding excitement of the game. 

With a remarkable turnout, each play saw a near complete team overhaul, ensuring a dynamic rotation of players and abundant opportunities for showcasing skills on the field.

From the get-go, Page had Van Kampen on edge, scoring a touchdown within the first minute and setting the tone for an intense matchup. Despite a shaky start, Van Kampen rallied, propelled by Jackson Thomas’ stellar performance as the primary quarterback and remarkable catches by Noah Lodewyk. However, by halftime Page managed to secure a slim one-point lead, aided by the efforts of Grant Oswald’s ambitious team spirit. 

The game’s intensity heightened in the last half of the match as both teams traded the lead. Despite commendable efforts from both sides, Page scored a victory through a tipped ball caught by Gideon Vethan in the final minutes, winning by only one point. 

Reflecting on the match, Thomas noted, “Everyone was shaking hands and talking, despite the tension only moments before. It was cool to see friendships and camaraderie overcome competitiveness, and community develop in spite of the high intensity,” he said. 

While the upperclassmen dorm, Van Kampen, faced a tough loss, they took it graciously, using the defeat as a friendly segue to strengthen connections among the classes. Ultimately, the resident assistants were super excited with the energy and the turnout for the game and are hoping to develop it into a recurring tradition!