The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

California storms hit Westmont

Noah Nims
Students in rain gear marvel at the flooded creek

After this past week, it’s safe to say that Albert Hammond was wrong, because it doesn’t just rain in Southern California– it pours. While out-of-staters might poke fun at Californian’s dramatics about the weather, these recent storms were a stark contrast to our usual precipitation and climate. Around the state, damage from erosion, mudslides, floods and trees falling have tragically harmed many. At Westmont, the dangers were clear enough that Jason Tavarez, the Director of Institutional Resilience, canceled school on Monday February 5, and recommended that students stay indoors and not attempt to traverse outside due to a shelter-in-place designation.

Our main campus remained intact, fortunately, although Montecito holds particular concern due to its history of devastating mudslides. However, the Westmont Downtown building, housing the newly launched Westmont Nursing program, sustained significant roof leakage. This forced the closure of a third-floor classroom for several days, as confirmed by Doug Jones, Vice President of Finance.

Beyond the leakage, students faced their own challenges. Chaney Bowman described the fear of navigating the storm in her Mini Cooper, with enough rising water flowing on the roads to cause hydroplaning. Many students shared her experience of treacherous commutes and reckless driving on rain-slicked roads. Juan, a dedicated DC worker, highlighted the hidden dangers– he encountered flooded lanes and hydroplaning cars on his usual freeway commute to Westmont. “It felt safe,” he chuckled, “but that was because I was going 40!” His lighthearted advice to “stay dry and safe” resonated with a community facing unprecedented weather.

Despite the challenges, Westmont stayed safe. Students took the day to play card games, enjoy cozy beverages, or engage in a competitive mud soccer game down at Lovik. As Bowman said, “It was a community-oriented day.”

From scorching Septembers to cloudy Julys, and now record-breaking January showers, times are indeed changing. Investing in a rain jacket might not have seemed necessary before, but as Montecito students learned, it can be a wise decision in Santa Barbara’s evolving climate.